Secrets of the Superhuman Food Pyramid: Negative Effects of Milk Chocolate

Much like regular ice cream, milk chocolate, too, is one of the most loved American dessert treats. But quite unlike dark chocolate, milk chocolate contains ingredients that make it an unhealthy food choice. Though easier to find and certainly much cheaper than its healthier dark chocolate counterpart, milk chocolate should be avoided if you want to reach your health and wellness goals.

Read further and discover more about the negative effects of milk chocolate and why the Superhuman Food Pyramid recommends you avoid this source of dietary fats.

Milk Chocolate’s Risks:

In the US, manufacturers are only required to put 10% pure cocoa liquor into the milk chocolate product. You’d then be left to wonder what the other 90% of the ingredients are. Just as its name implies, this mass produced sweet treat contains a high percentage of milk powder, condensed milk, or liquid milk, all of which are non-organic dairy products.

Practically all milk chocolate brands contain hydrogenated oils as well, added as a filler as well as a preservative. Hydrogenated fats are trans fats, which have been linked to increased risk for a host of lifestyle illnesses like coronary heart disease, stroke, obesity, diabetes, and cancer.

As if this is not alarming enough, these hydrogenated fats come mostly from unhealthy soy bean oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, safflower oil, or cottonseed oil. These vegetable oils have a significantly high omega-6 fatty acid and very little omega-3 fatty acid content, which makes milk chocolate consumption unsafe for those with existing inflammatory diseases like rheumatoid arthritis.

Save for sunflower oil, said vegetable oils all come from genetically modified crops as well. The debate about the beneficial and harmful effects of these bioengineered organisms on human health still rages on. But those who would like to err on the side of caution may want to steer clear of any GM-containing milk chocolate as animal studies show GMO consumption may bring about allergies, gastrointestinal maladies, and scarier still, reproductive health abnormalities like decreased semen production in male rats and sterility in the offspring of female rats fed long-term with GM crops.

Milk chocolate contains considerable amounts of sweeteners like processed sugar and high fructose corn syrup as well. Excessive consumption of these sweeteners may bring about tooth decay and serious illnesses like insulin resistance which could then lead to diabetes. High fructose corn syrup has also been linked to gastrointestinal maladies, headaches, hyperactivity, and decreased mental acuity. Low- or no-calorie versions of milk chocolate, meanwhile, contain unhealthy sugar substitutes like aspartame, sucralose, and acesulfame, which to this day have not been thoroughly studied for their long-term impact on human health.

A concoction of chemicals are contained in milk chocolate brands as well.  Take for instance caramel coloring which contains compounds that cause cancer in rats and have been identified by the US National Toxicology Program as possibly carcinogenic to humans. Milk chocolate brands coated in colorful shells contain food dyes that are linked to hyperactivity in children, formation of tumors in the kidneys and adrenal glands, and cancer of the brain as well. Butyric acid, a compound that renders that characteristic sour taste in some milk chocolate brands, is added as well. Butyric acid is classified as a toxic substance by the US Environmental Protection Agency, and ingestion of this compound may bring about abdominal pain, and in serious cases, shock and collapse.

Here is a complete listing of the dietary sources of fats on the Superhuman Food Pyramid:




If you have questions, comments or feedback about the negative effects of milk chocolate, the Superhuman Food Pyramid, this website, or other aspects of Becoming Superhuman, then leave your thoughts below, as well as any tips you have on the negative effects of milk chocolate.